REALTORS® POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE
What is RPAC?
The purpose of RPAC is clear: REALTORS® raise and spend money to elect candidates who understand and support their interests. The money to accomplish this comes from voluntary contributions made by REALTORS®. These are not members’ dues; this is money given freely by REALTORS® in recognition of how important campaign fundraising is to the political process. RPAC doesn’t buy votes. RPAC enables REALTORS® to support candidates that support the issues that are important to their profession and livelihood.
- Cloud Tax – We worked successfully with MRED to attain a letter of exemption to protect REALTOR® MLS data from taxation.
- Professional Parking Permit – You asked, and we delivered! The REALTOR® Parking Permit ensures that while you’re conducting business, you may park in any parking zone throughout the city, from 9AM til 9PM.
- RLTO Reform – We again secured sponsors for and reintroduced RLTO reform to the Chicago City Council, with testimony to come this fall. Our reform has generated significant press coverage and interest from high profile Aldermen.
- Airbnb – We testified against the poorly crafted Airbnb ordinance, and we are working to develop forms that your clients may use to protect their investments.
- Property Tax Education – We have provided numerous REALTOR®-led solutions for long-term property tax relief for Cook County residents in the wake of massive property tax increases, and are working with the Cook County Assessor and Board of Review on further measures to ease the burden on your clients. Additionally, we developed a website with Real Property Alliance, Illinois REALTORS® consumer outreach arm, to provide a central location where you can go to help your clients get the tools they need to appeal.
- Recycling Ordinance – Our aggressive advocacy and testimony led to a last-minute ordinance rewrite allowing for a 30-day warning period for owners to get in compliance.
- H.R. 3700 – Because so many of you answered the Call for Action, H.R. 3700 The Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act passed the Senate unanimously, and President Obama signed this important piece of legislation into law. This makes it easier for condo buyers to obtain mortgage credit – a big deal here in Chicago!
View RPAC’s Major Investors
Contributions to RPAC are not deductible for federal income tax purposes. Contributions are voluntary and are used for political purposes. The amounts indicated are merely guidelines and you may contribute more or less than the suggested amounts. The National Association of REALTORS® and its state and local associations will not favor or disadvantage any member because of the amount contributed or decision not to contribute. You may refuse to contribute without reprisal. Up to thirty percent (30%) may be sent to National RPAC to support federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 2 U.S.C. 441a. A copy of our report filed with the State Board of Elections is (or will be) available on the Board’s official website www.elections.il.gov or for purchase from the State Board of Elections, Springfield, Illinois.