The Office of Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas announced that nearly 57,000 properties with delinquent property taxes will be auctioned at the Annual Tax Sale, beginning May 3, 2019, if they remain unpaid. The unpaid property taxes are $189.6 million in total.
All REALTORS® are encouraged to share this information to help clients avoid the tax sale. It’s estimated that almost 21,000 aren’t ware of their unpaid taxes due to mailing address errors, around 22,000 owe $1,000 or less and over 2,000 of these properities are owned by senior citizens.
To avoid the tax sale, homeowners must pay the delinquent taxes and interest prior to May 3rd. To look up the condos with delinquent taxes in a multi-unit building:
- Go to cookcountytreasurer.com.
- Select “Avoid the Tax Sale.”
- On the Delinquent Property Tax Search page, select “View the Lists.”
- Select the ward or suburb (municipality) that the property is located in, which should download a PDF.
- Open the file “DelinquentTaxReport.pdf.”
- Scan or search (CTRL-F) for the building address.