Bring CAR To My Office
The CAR To You program is designed to bring your association directly to you. Whether you’re interested in hosting classes through our real estate school or bringing in a speaker on dues, association benefits and more, this program will help. Learn more and get started.
Change Email Address
To change your email address click the Member Login button to login and update your personal information. Your Logon ID is your six-digit C.A.R./MLS number. Your default password is the last four digits of your social security number. (We recommend that you change your password immediately after logging in by clicking on “Personal Information”.)
Change Name / Add Nickname
The name we maintain in our system and in the MLS must match the name shown on the member’s real estate license issued by IDFPR. If a member’s name legally changes, they must first change their legal name with IDFPR by completing this IDFPR form and emailing it to IDFPR at email@example.com, along with the required supporting documentation. Once IDFPR has updated the legal name on the license, please email our Member Care team at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of the new real estate license showing the updated name.
If a member wants to update their name to a nickname, middle name, or other non-legal name, the member must also first email IDFPR. IDFPR allows for a DBA/AKA name to be added to a real estate license. First email email@example.com requesting that a nickname be added to the DBA/AKA section of the member’s real estate license.
Below is an example email to send to IDFPR.
Email To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Add DBA/AKA Name to License (Insert License Number)
Email Message: I am currently licensed as (Insert full name on license Ex: Elizabeth M. Smith) under license number (Insert License Number). Please add (Insert Full AKA Name Ex. Marie Smith) to my license as a DBA/AKA name as I will be using this name for all marketing and advertising.
After IDFPR adds this DBA/AKA name to a member’s license, please email our Member Care team at email@example.com confirming this DBA/AKA addition and we will update our system and the MLS.
Change Phone Number
Visit the Member Login Section of our website to login and update your personal information.Your Logon ID is your six-digit C.A.R./MLS number. Your default password is the last four digits of your social security number. (We recommend that you change your password immediately after logging in by clicking on “Personal Information”.)
Contact the Chicagoland Apartment Association at 847-678-5717 or visit them online at www.caapts.org.
Letter of Good Standing Requests
Click on the link provided to Submit a Letter of Good Standing Request. Members joining or transferring to another REALTOR® association may request a Letter of Good Standing from CAR to submit to the other association they are joining. The purpose of the Letter of Good Standing is to receive credit for any IR or NAR dues paid through CAR, as well as transfer dates of orientation and Code of Ethics trainings. Members will only be given a Letter of Good Standing if they have paid current membership dues and fees to CAR. Please note that MLS/MRED fees do not transfer between associations. All requests for Letter of Good Standings must be submitted in writing using the link in this paragraph.
Licensing Issues (IDFPR)
Any licensing issue should be directed to the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional regulation (IDFPR). Contact them at 800-560-6420; email them at firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit them online at www.idfpr.com.
List of Agents in Your Office
Managing brokers may view a list of brokers in their office by clicking the OFFICE ACCOUNT link in the MEMBER LOGIN Portion of the website. You can then view, print and/or pay each invoice in your office. In order to login follow these steps:
- Visit the Member Login section of our website.
- Your Logon ID is your six-digit C.A.R./MLS number.
- Your default password is the last four digits of your social security number. (We recommend that you change your password immediately after logging in by clicking on “Personal Information”.)
Membership Status Change
A REALTOR® Member who changes the conditions under which he or she holds membership shall provide written notification to the Membership Department of C.A.R. within five business days of such change. Please submit written notification to https://www.ChicagoREALTOR.com/upload.
A non-principal REALTOR® Member who becomes a principal in the firm with which he or she has been licensed or becomes a principal in a new firm comprised of REALTOR® principals, may be required to satisfy any previously unsatisfied membership requirements applicable to principal REALTOR® Members, provided that during the period of membership transition, the Member shall be subject to all of the privileges and obligations of a principal REALTOR® Member.
If the non-principal REALTOR® Member does not satisfy the requirements established in these By-laws for the category of membership to which they have transferred within five business days of the date the Member advises C.A.R. of the change in status, the Member’s new membership application shall terminate automatically unless otherwise so directed by the Board of Directors.
All applicants applying for REALTOR® membership for the first time shall not be finally declared elected to membership unless and until the applicant attends and completes an orientation program on the Code of Ethics of not less than two hours and thirty minutes of instructional time, in addition to other topics as may be identified by C.A.R. from time to time, within three consecutive scheduled orientation classes (except for applicants who are currently, or were within the immediately preceding year, a member of another REALTOR® board/association and can provide proof of completion of such orientation course). Failure to complete the orientation program within the time stated herein, shall result in the automatic termination of any provisional membership granted by the Membership Department pursuant to Subsection 7.3.B of these By-laws and of any membership granted by the Board of Directors pursuant to Subsection 7.3.C of these By-laws. Members may register for Orientation sessions via telephone. Click Here for a Orientation Schedule.
The default password to a member’s online account is the last four digits of their SSN. Members are strongly encouraged to change their password after they first log-in. Passwords can be changed on the “Your Personal Information” tab after logging in and then select Change Password. If a member is unable to log-in, reset your CAR My Account password by clicking the Forgot your password? option when signing in.
Refunds of Revenue Received
The following policies have been approved by C.A.R’s Board of Directors and apply to refunds associated with revenue collected by C.A.R.:
- Application Fees, Transfer Fees, Reinstatement Fees, and Processing Fees – Not refundable. This is a cost for processing and reflects staff time and effort.
- Dues – Only refundable within 5 business days of payment.
- Voluntary Contributions – Only refundable within 30 days of payment.
- MLS Fees – Refundable for months prepaid for MLS services where membership is later made Inactive or Terminated within the same fiscal year. Member must be in a membership status of Inactive or Terminated in the same fiscal year to be eligible to request and receive a refund of prepaid MLS services. A member having access to the member’s MLS service, but infrequently using or never logging in to the MLS service, does not qualify for a refund. Any refund request for prepaid months of MLS must be requested within 30 days of Inactive or Terminated membership status. No refund will be issued for requests received after 30 days of Inactive or Terminated status. When calculating the unused months, the month in which the membership account was made Inactive or Terminated is not eligible for refund. If a refund is issued and membership is reinstated within the same fiscal year, the member will be responsible for the current prorated amount of MLS fees. In the event of a double payment, CAR will refund the member.
All sales of lockboxes and lockbox accessories are final. No refunds will be issued for newly sold lockboxes and accessories. In the event of a defective lockbox, the member shall follow Sentrilock’s policy and procedures for determining if a lockbox is under Warranty and to receive a replacement lockbox. C.A.R. will issue replacement lockboxes only if deemed defective and warrantable by Sentrilock. No replacement lockboxes will be issued for any lockbox that is defective and outside of its warranty period.
- If a student cancels the student’s attendance at a class a minimum of five business days prior to the start of a course, the student will receive a refund of tuition less a 25% cancellation fee. ALL CANCELLATIONS MUST BE IN WRITING via email to email@example.com.
- If a student cancels the student’s attendance at a class less than five business days prior to the start of a course, no refund shall be provided. If a student is a “no show” for a class, no refund shall be provided, and the student forfeits their registration fee. No refunds shall be provided once a class has begun.
- For Continuing Education courses, transfers requested a minimum of five business days prior, there is no fee. Transfers within five business days are subject to a $40.00 Transfer Fee. No transfers are permitted after a course has begun; student forfeits their registration fee. There are no cash refunds.
- For Licensing courses, transfers are subject to a $40.00 Transfer Fee. No transfers are permitted after a course has begun; student forfeits their registration fee. There are no cash refunds.
- No refunds are given for online courses (no instructor), study aids, books, or software programs unless they are defective.
- C.A.R. reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course or individual class session(s), at any time, for any reason. If we cancel an entire course, students will receive a full refund of their tuition.
- C.A.R. reserves the right to cancel any individual class session(s), at any time for any reason. Students will be notified of an alternate make-up session. Students who cannot attend make-up sessions will have the option of transferring to another class (full repeat required) or online course within 6 months of the original course start date; no refunds and no additional fees will apply. C.A.R. will notify students as early as possible as to any class session changes.
- C.A.R. reserves the right to cancel, substitute or reschedule any instructor for any reason at any time; no monetary compensation will be applicable.
- Non-Registered, walk-in students will be accommodated AFTER all pre-registered students have been seated.
- Late arrivals are not permitted for real estate continuing education classes.
- In addition, CAR is not responsible for any late fees, charges or other amounts incurred by students to licensing authorities or any other third parties.
- For additional information, visit our Course Policies page.
Resignation from C.A.R.
Indebtedness: Resignations of Members shall become effective when received in writing (and uploaded to https://www.ChicagoREALTOR.com/upload) by the Board of Directors; provided, however, that if any resigning Member is indebted to C.A.R. for dues, fees, fines, or other assessments of C.A.R. or any of C.A.R.’s services, departments, divisions, or subsidiaries, the indebtedness shall survive any such resignation and the Board of Directors shall have the authority to condition the right of the resigning Member to reapply for membership upon payment in full of all such monies owed.
Pending Ethics or Arbitration Matter: If a Member resigns from C.A.R. or otherwise causes membership to terminate with an ethics complaint pending, that Board of Directors may condition the right of the resigning Member to reapply for membership upon the applicant’s certification that he/she will submit to the pending ethics proceeding and will abide by the decision of the hearing panel. If a Member resigns from C.A.R. or otherwise causes membership to terminate, the duty to submit to arbitration continues in effect even after membership lapses or is terminated, provided that the dispute arose while the former member was a REALTOR®.
If dues, fees, fines or other assessments, including amounts owed to C.A.R. or C.A.R. / MLS, are not paid by the due date, the non-paying Member shall be subject to suspension by the Membership Department. You may make your payment online. Please note, it will take up to 2 business hours for your MLS access to be restored. If you have been suspended please contact our Member Care department at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at 312-803-4900.
Contact the Rent Right hotline at 312-742-7368.
Termination of Membership by C.A.R.
If dues, fees, fines, or other assessments including amounts owed to C.A.R. or C.A.R. / MLS, are not paid within 60 days after the due date, the membership of the non-paying Member shall automatically terminate. All invoices are due upon receipt.
Termination of a Broker, Managing Broker or Leasing Agent Sponsorship
If a broker, managing broker or leasing agent has terminated employment with your office, you MUST do the following:
- Sign, date and enter your broker license number on the broker’s terminated license.
- Fax the signed off license to the Department of Financial & Professional Regulation at 217-782-3390.
- Submit the signed off license to the Chicago Association of REALTORS Membership Department via https://www.ChicagoREALTOR.com/upload.
- Keep a copy of the signed off license for your Managing Broker records.
- Give the ORIGINAL license to the licensee. NOTE: Failure of the sponsoring broker to endorse and return the license upon demand may subject the sponsoring or managing broker to IDFPR discipline. The reason for this is IDFPR has complete jurisdiction over each license. However, the endorsement should not preclude either the sponsoring broker or sponsored licensee from pursuing any right or obligation pursuant the terms of the written employment agreement, or pursuant to any other civil remedy. See Section 5-40(b) of the Act and Rule 1450.75.
If you are unable to provide a copy of the terminated license, you MUST:
- Fax a written termination (on company letterhead) to the Department of Financial & Professional Regulation at 217-782-3390 which includes:
a. The legal name and office license number of the sponsoring FIRM. This number can be found in any of your sponsored agent licenses.
- b. The sponsoring Brokers full name and broker license number (NOT your broker license #).
- c. The full LEGAL Name of the licensee being terminated.
- d. The license number of the licensee being terminated (See note below). e. Date of sponsorship termination.
- Submit a copy of this letter to the Chicago Association of REALTORS Membership Department via https://www.ChicagoREALTOR.com/upload.
- Provide a copy of the letter to the licensee.
- Keep a copy of the letter for your records.
NOTE: If you do not have the license # include the licensee social security number. You probably had this # for the licensee’s annual 1099 form. You will also need to include a brief statement as to why you no longer have the license.
In most cases, the managing broker of the office will be responsible for the endorsement required of the sponsoring broker. However, in the event the managing broker is unavailable, any broker authorized to sign on behalf of the sponsoring broker may provide the endorsement. Either the sponsoring broker or the sponsored licensee may demand the endorsement of the licensee.
In order to transfer from one office to another, please download and complete the Transfer Notification form. Once you have completed the form please return the form, a copy of your 45-day sponsor card, and your $50 payment in one of the following ways:
- Submit the completed form, copy of your 45-day sponsor card and $50 Visa, MasterCard or American Express payment via https://www.ChicagoREALTOR.com/upload
- Drop off completed form, copy of your 45-day sponsor card and $50 check, money order or credit card payment to one of our 4 full-service locations.
- Mail in completed form, copy of your 45 day sponsor card and $50 check or money order made payable to:
Chicago Association of REALTORS®
Attn: Membership Department
430 N. Michigan Ave Suite 800
Chicago, IL 60611