The Chicago Association of REALTORS® has issued these best practices for Chicago REALTORS® for everyone’s well-being:
- REALTORS® should work with clients to reduce face to face interaction, which may mean providing virtual tours, interactive links, virtual floorplans and photos, to review while video conferencing.
- REALTORS® should practice social distancing — and they should ask clients to do the same!
- Clients should wear a mask when social distancing isn’t possible and indoors. That may include while working together!
- REALTORS® should have a discussion about having strangers in the home, ways to help mitigate possible risks and the best course of action for selling and marketing a home.
- REALTORS® should consider incorporating the use of technologies (like virtual open houses) to reduce physical presence for the early stages of marketing properties.
- REALTORS® should exercise extreme caution around hosting open houses and operate accordingly, including limiting people at the property at a time and frequent cleaning.
- REALTORS® should incorporate a non-discriminatory appointment policy into open house day procedures to cut back on the number of attendees appearing at the same time.
- REALTORS® should restrict access after each showing to allow time for disinfecting areas of the home previous attendees viewed.
- REALTORS® should consider providing gloves and booties to all attendees of an open house and requiring face masks for all persons inside the home, even if social distance is maintained.
- REALTORS® should consider having the owner or listing broker open doors including closets and cabinets, turning on lights and opening window coverings to reduce the need to touch surfaces.
- REALTORS® may ask clients to meet them at a property, rather than driving together.
- REALTORS® may ask the seller to prepare a home for a showing by cleaning and disinfecting frequently-touched surfaces, like doorknobs, cabinets and railings.
- Clients may also be asked to wear gloves and/or booties if visiting a homes in person.
- Clients may be asked to use hand sanitizer and thoroughly wash their hands before and after entering any homes or buildings.
- Clients are encouraged to practice safe social distancing while touring the home.
- REALTORS® should ask that clients avoid touching items in the home while taking a tour.
- REALTORS® should reconvene with clients via video conference after the showing concludes, rather than discussing at the property or in person.
The transaction may be different than in the past — but REALTORS® are still closing deals and getting the job done! We look forward to working with you!