Mayor Lightfoot announced that, starting today, the city of Chicago will be expanding the Housing Assistance Grant Program with a new round of support and direct assistance for families. The initial round of assistance received over 80,000 applications and helped 2,000 households.
This new infusion of funding will result in more than $25 million in relief for renters and property owners, as well as eviction counseling for low and moderate-income renters hurt by the COVID-19 crisis. The new funding is expected to be able to help around 10,000 additional Chicagoans. Those who applied for the first round of assistance and were not selected will be automatically considered for the new round of funding.
New Online Housing Assistance Portal Directs You to Programs to Help
The city’s new Chicago Housing Assistance Portal will serve as a central, online entry point for all assistance programs available to homeowners and renters. Residents may use the portal to help determine what program best fits their needs. Start by filling out the intake form; the portal will help connect you to the right program, so you don’t need to be an expert to navigate the system.
It’s important to note that a lottery, or randomized, system is being used for the program to create a level of fairness, as the city expects a higher demand for the assistance programs than the supply of funding available.
If you are in need of either rental or mortgage assistance, please start at the portal by filling out an intake form.
For more information about the portal, read the City of Chicago’s portal assistance information here.
RENTERS: Apply for RENT ASSISTANCE
Eligible applicants must be facing eviction and may receive up to six months of rental assistance. The Chicago Housing Assistance Portal is an online gateway. Residents can begin using the portal today through August 10 to help determine what program best fits their needs by simply filling out the intake form. Renters must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate your total household income was at 60% or below the Area Median Income prior to March 1, 2020.
- Have experienced a change in your financial status after March 1, 2020, due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Must be 18 years of age or over, or be a financially independent minor.
Applications are open from August 10-18.
HOMEOWNERS: Apply for Mortgage ASSISTANCE
$3.5 million of the new funding will be specifically dedicated to homeowners through a mortgage assistance program. This funding will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis based on the following criteria:
- The maximum grant assistance is $3,300, and the level of assistance will be based on each individual’s mortgage needs.
- Applicant(s) household income cannot exceed 120% of area median income.
- Grants will not need to be repaid.
- Homeowners in single-family homes of up to four-unit properties will qualify for assistance.
- Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae and FHA loans are not eligible for this program.
- Homeowner grant applications will open on Monday, August 3 at noon and run until the end of the year or all available grants are exhausted, whichever comes first. Applications can be completed on nhschicago.org/emergencyassistance.