Starting October 1st, all property tax rebate applications will be accepted at 25 neighborhood locations citywide. The rebate gives working and middle class families and seniors tax relief from the increase needed to fund pensions of first responders.
Standard possible rebates range between $25 and $200, but all applicants must apply in person. The deadline for applications is November 30th. If eligible, rebate checks will be received six to eight weeks after processing.
Requirements for eligibility are:
- Chicago Homeowner;
- Received the Cook County Homeowners’ Exemption in the most recent property tax year;
- Household adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less in 2015;
- City of Chicago portion of property taxes increased on most recent tax bill;
- Current on the payment of property taxes;
- Do not owe real estate taxes on other property located in Chicago; and
- Do not have City debt (e.g. parking tickets, overdue water bills). In cases where City debt is owed, the rebate will be applied to the debt.
Click here for further details on qualifications for the rebate, for frequently asked questions and for the addresses of all eligible locations.