The 2020 Census questionnaire is now available for everyone in the U.S. and five territories to complete! By taking a few minutes out of your day to complete the form – and encouraging your clients to do the same! – you will be helping to shape your community’s future and becoming a community champion.
The census helps to determine many things within a community and our industry, including:
- Accurate Data: NAR and other associations are able to compare their data to census information to determine their accuracy, forecast and make projections, and evaluate trends in housing demands, migration and household formation, amongst many other things.
- Government Representation: The census helps determines how many seats are given to each state in the House of Representatives.
- School Funding: The building of new schools, clinics and services for family, as well as school lunch programs, are all determined by the outcome of the census.
- Federal Fund Allocation: The results help to decide how government money gets spread between more than 100 programs such as Medicaid, Head Start, community mental health services, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and more.
- Transportation: The planning of new highways, roads and public transportation systems all come from the census results.
And for every person that is not counted, your community will lose an average of $1,400 per year, money that could be going towards creating a stronger community.
This year, there are three ways to complete the questionnaire, making it easier and more accessible than ever. Responses can be provided through the physical form mailed to you in mid-March, online at https://my2020census.gov/ or via phone. Find the correct phone number to call by clicking here.
Make sure to encourage your community, your clients and all of those in your life to complete the census for a better future. Forms will be accepted until June 30, 2020. For more information, visit the 2020 Census website or view NAR’s census resources here.