PROPERTY TAX APPEALS
REALTORS®’ GUIDE TO HELPING YOUR CLIENTS WITH PROPERTY TAX APPEALS
Ensure your clients know how to appeal their property tax assessments to avoid overpaying. Here is a streamlined overview of how to work with your clients on what can be a complicated issue.
Properties in Cook County are reassessed every three years, and property taxes are based on these assessments. By appealing your assessment, you may be able to significantly reduce your property tax bill. Once assessment notices are mailed, by township, a property owner has 30 days to file an appeal.
Notify your clients when their township opens!
- There is no cost to a property owner to file an appeal
- When you appeal to the Assessor or Board of Review, there is no chance an assessment will be increased as a result of appeal. In other words, there is no penalty; when an owner appeals, the assessment will either remain the same or be lowered.
- Use our infographic to guide your clients through the appeals process visually.
- There are many tax professionals that can assist your clients with the process. Here is a list of C.A.R. member tax professionals.
- February 10, 2021 | Cook County Treasurer Announces Two Months Grace Period on Late Fees
Ask the Treasurer
We’re working with Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas to get your questions answered about property taxes, so you can be a valued resource to your clients throughout the process. What questions do you have for her? Submit them here.
CAR Property Tax Appeal Workshop
In 2020, we hosted a Property Tax Appeal Workshop. The Cook County Board of Review joined us to discuss how to reduce property taxes and better educate and assist your clients. View the on-demand recording of the event below.
Property Tax Bill Resources
From the Cook County Treasurer’s Office:
- Understanding Your Property Tax Bill
- How to Fight Your Property Tax Bill
- 20-Year Tax Bill History (search by PIN)
- Property Tax Exemptions (in 2021 most exemptions will automatically renew)
From Illinois REALTORS®:
CAR Members Who Specialize in Property Tax Consulting
Relias & Tsonis, LLC
Kurt F. Fujio, Attorney at Law