There is a possible $45 million savings coming to Cook County seniors this summer.
On July 15th, Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas announced that as many as 26,500 senior homeowners will be able to save on their August 1, 2019 property tax bills, if they apply for the Senior Homestead Exemption they received last year.
To date, 19,200 of those who received the exemption have not applied, although the process if relatively quick and simple.
Help your clients, friends and family save on their bills by helping them complete the application process outlined below:
- Visit cookcountytreasurer.com.
- Select the purple box labeled “Your Property Tax Overview.”
- Enter your address or Property Index Number (PIN).
- Check the results under “Have You Received Your Exemptions in These Tax Years?”*
*If you believe you are entitled to an exemption you have not received, select “Apply for a missing exemption.”
- Seniors homeowners (65+) must apply for these exemptions each year.
- Seniors with a household income of $65,000 or less per year may be eligible for the Senior Freeze, which prevents increases in the taxable value of a home.
- Some home are no longer eligible for exemptions.