MARKI LEMONS RYHAL EDUCATION ADVANCEMENT SCHOLARSHIP
The Marki Lemons Ryhal Education Advancement Scholarship will support candidates that are seeking to obtain their real estate license OR attend a Historically Black College and University (HBCU). This fund is applicable only to African American women whose primary residence is in underserved communities within the Chicagoland area.
This scholarship is in special honor of Marki’s late mother, Hazel S. Lemons.
ABOUT MARKI: Marki Lemons Ryhal is a Chicago REALTOR®, global keynote speaker and international best-selling author. She once served as vice president of her family’s restaurant, Lem’s Bar-B-Que, located on the south side of Chicago. Lem’s is the second oldest black-owned restaurant in Chicago and Chicago’s oldest barbeque restaurant still in business.
Scholarship applications will only be accepted if received prior to the completion of the course for which the scholarship is requested. All award amounts are at the discretion of the Foundation Trustees.
Chicago Associations of REALTORS® Officers, Directors and employees, and Chicago Association of REALTORS® Foundation Officers and Trustees may not apply for this scholarship.
Please note that all scholarships are applicable to classroom and self-study courses only.
The quarterly deadlines to apply for the fiscal year 2021 are:
December 13th, 2021 & February 15th, 2022
April 15th, 2022
June 15th, 2022
August 15th, 2022
Questions or concerns regarding your application can be directed to CARfoundation@chicagorealtor.com.
HBCU Scholarship Criteria:
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of funding
- Be a permanent resident of Illinois
- Must be attending a 2 – 4 year accredited HBCU and enrolled in a program of real estate, business, or urban planning and development.
- If applying for the HIGHER EDUCATION scholarship, candidate must include two letters of recommendations. One recommendation letter must be from a faculty advisor at the institution of higher learning (or high school).
- 250-500 word essay explaining how your personal (or future) contributions will have a positive impact on your community
- The applicant will also be invited to connect with Marki Lemons Ryhal (one on one)
- Special consideration will be given to a Chicago REALTOR®, REALTIST® member and/or immediate family member
- *Chicago State University students are also eligible for this scholarship
- $500 paid directly to the institution
Scholarship Requirements – Pre License Study
- Must meet current minimum Illinois licensing standards
- Valid only for the REALTORS® Real Estate School (RRES) pre-licensing program (classroom or self study)
- If applying for the PRE-LICENSING scholarship, candidate must include two letters of recommendation. One of the two letters must be from a CAR member with at least 18 months experience in the industry. If you do not have your second letter signed by a CAR member, you must submit the letter within 3 months of your scholarship approval date in order to receive your reimbursement.
- 500-word essay explaining how your personal contributions have had a positive impact within your community.
- The candidate will be reimbursed (up to $700) after becoming a licensed CAR member.
- The applicant will also be invited to connect one-on-one with Marki Lemons Ryhal.