The Chicago Association of REALTORS® fully supports the practice of equal opportunity and Fair Housing. Chicago’s history with fair housing is long and complex. Our association’s is, as well. In order for us to move forward, it’s important to recognize our history with fair housing and discrimination.
The History of Fair Housing in Chicago
Acknowledgement & Apology
WHAT WE’RE DOING
DIVERSITY COMMITTEE – THE 77
This year we formed our Diversity Committee- the 77. The 77, named after Chicago’s 77 unique neighborhoods, has at least one representative from each of Chicago’s neighborhoods to ensure a wide representation of our membership. The 77 will:
• Tackle topics like fair housing and economic development
• Engage with local chambers of commerce and quasigovernmental bodies (i.e. TIF Boards)
• Seek placemaking grant opportunities
• Serve (via a designated representative) each community
and provide local REALTORS® with answers to frequently
asked questions, advice and association information.
NAR NEW FAIR HOUSING ACTION PLAN
NAR’s new Fair Housing Action Plan, abbreviated ‘ACT,’ emphasizes (A)ccountability, (C)ulture Change, and (T)raining in order to ensure America’s 1.4 million Realtors® are doing everything possible to protect housing rights in America. Learn More.
Training & Resources
FAIR HOUSING TRAINING VIDEO
Providing equal service to all is the basic tenet of federal fair housing law and part of NAR’s Code of Ethics. NAR’s fair housing training video is available as a free download to all associations and members. Ensure your service is fair and legal. Available for free through NAR.
BIAS OVERRIDE: OVERCOMING BARRIERS TO FAIR HOUSING VIDEO
The mind science experts at the Perception Institute present an online workshop to help members avoid implicit bias in their daily business interactions. Drawing upon the latest evidence-based research, Perception explains how our brains’ automatic, instant association of stereotypes with particular groups can cause us to treat those who are different from us unfairly, despite our best intentions and often without our conscious awareness. Perception then applies these concepts to the everyday work of REALTORS®, and offers strategies to override bias in order to convey respect, ensure fairness, and improve business relationships. Access the online training video.
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® FAIR HOUSING FIELD GUIDE
The NAR Fair Housing Program includes the latest Fair Housing News, free fair housing products, useful links and the REALTOR® Fair Housing Declaration.
AT HOME WITH DIVERSITY COURSE
At Home With Diversity is an educational experience designed to present a picture of the changing face of the real estate industry. More importantly, the class teaches how real estate professionals can increase their sensitivity and adaptability to future market trends. Additionally, you will learn to thrive as an effective service provider and community leader. The course addresses issues of diversity, fair housing, and cultural differences. All three subjects are closely related and have value for real estate professionals who must serve diverse local markets. Access the online course here.
FAIR HOUSING EDUCATION AT CAR
The REALTORS® Real Estate School offers a wide variety of topics and course formats designed for real estate professionals and taught by local subject-matter-experts. Browse available Fair Housing courses here.
FAIR HOUSING ASSETS
REALTORS® are committed to creating fair housing opportunities for everyone. Be a champion for fair housing by sharing NAR’s social media materials.
Either click here to access the assets or personalize the materials in the Photofy app. To download the app:
- Visit photophy.com/nar.
- At the bottom of the page, fill out the information under “Get Started with Photofy Today.” You will need your NRDS ID number for this!
- Open the email from Photofy and download the app on your device.
- Once the app is downloaded, open it. Click “Business Sign In” on the homepage and log in with your information, including your username and password.
- You should be directed to the NAR member screen. If you are not, tap “NAR Member” at the bottom of the screen to switch views.
- Click the template option to add a photo or logo to and share. Logos or photos can be taken from your device’s photos, your social channels or your Dropbox.