After over a year of virtual meetings, events, work and networking, in 2021 we found ways to slowly and safely connect in-person once again. We’re so proud of everything we accomplished together over the last year, and we can’t wait to see what 2022 has in store!
We hosted 94 virtual events, which can be watched on-demand in our video resource library.
And we followed city, state and CDC guidelines to host 14 in-person events.
We also inducted a brand new Hall of Famer, James D. Letchinger, JDL Development, during the 138th Inaugural Gala.
We invested in our community through placemaking.
This year, we completed three new projects:
We supported local businesses across Chicago by donating over $7,000 in grants to Black, Hispanic & AAPI business owners who were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Make sure to check out these amazing businesses!
- 2 Asian Brothers Restuarant
- Absolutely Anything Essential
- A Cup of Joe
- Fullerton Health Mart Pharmacy
- Gilda Designer Thrift Boutique
- Male Mogul Initiative
We supported our city and the future of the real estate industry through our Foundation.
We also raised funds through our annual Foundation 5K at Jackson Park, which featured nearly 100 participants and raised over $2,300. Check out photos from the event here.
And YPN hosted our annual kickball tournament, which raised $425 for the CAR Foundation’s YPN Scholarship Fund. Check out photos from the event here.
We continued to grow as an association so you can expand your network and get the help you need.
We protected the REALTOR® brand through our professional standards.
We gave you tools to succeed.
CommercialForum partnered with the Commercial Brokers Association to launch an exclusive, commercial-focused forms and contracts management system, the Legal Library Pro, to save you both time and money in your commercial transactions.
We launched our Photofy app, which allows you to easily edit and share social media graphics to your platforms.
We created a brand-new website for home buyers, sellers and owners, called BuySellOwnChicago.com, which makes it easier than ever for you to share content with your clients.
We revamped our sustainability resources page to continue to provide you with the tools and resources to be a sustainability ambassador.
Our YPN committee launched a podcast, where leaders from our Young Professionals Network (YPN) talk real estate and break down business-building with local experts.
- Episode 1: Behind the Real Estate Transaction Series: The Lending Side with Devontae Brooks
- Episode 2: The Basics of Brand Building with Mike Opyd
- Episode 3: Behind The Real Estate Transaction Series: The Inspection Side with Charles Bellefontaine
- Episode 4: What’s the 411 on Brick Architecture in Chicago? with William Quam
- Episode 5: Behind The Real Estate Transaction Series: The Attorney Side with Marc Cervantes
- Episode 6: Working with a Financial Coach with Matt Plumer
- Episode 7: How to find & Share Your Purpose with Aly Nauta
Our magazine continues to be a go-to source for the latest tools, resources, industry news and member highlights.
And we continued to provide you with news & resources through our blog. Our five most-read blogs in 2021 were:
- New 2021 Residential Lease & Security Deposit Interest Rates Now Available
- First Installment of 2021 Cook County Property Taxes Available Online
- Accessory Dwelling Units Ordinance Passes City Council
- Cook County Extends Property Tax Payment Deadline
- New Program Designed to Forgive New IL Homebuyers’ Student Loans
We gave you toolkits to use of share with your clients.
We partnered with the Scottsdale Area Association of REALTORS® Global Council to collaborate on global programming, educational resources, promotion and member benefits.
We were the voice for real estate for Chicago in the media.
We were featured in 84 stories throughout 2021. Here were our top hits:
- Houses flying off the market in Chicago, suburbs, from Fox 32 Chicago featuring Nykea Pippion McGriff
- Chicago housing market is still booming, but a ‘relative cooling’ could be here, from the Chicago Tribune featuring Nykea Pippion McGriff
- Renovation trends that instantly add value to your home, from Fox 32 Chicago featuring Nykea Pippion McGriff
- The new head of the Chicago Association of REALTORS® honors her son’s life, from Crain’s Chicago Business featuring Nykea Pippion McGriff
- For unemployed Chicagoans, real estate’s flourishing market could provide a solution to being out of work during COVID-19 pandemic, from the Chicago Tribune
We provided you with the professional development you needed, when and where you needed it.
We launched a brand-new online education portal to make virtual training a more sophisticated, easy-to-navigate experience for you. Check it out here.
You connected with us on social media.
Follow us here:
We welcomed a new Industry Partner!
Our new Industry Partner, the LGBTQ+ Real Estate Alliance, advocates for fair housing for all, promotes LGBTQ+ homeownership, elevates professionalism in the industry through education and networking, and celebrates diversity and inclusion in our members and allied partners.
We advocated for private property rights in Springfield and Chicago.
We made sure impactful legislation that helped you continue to do business were responded to quickly and efficiently, including
- Negotiating several key provisions for landlords in the County’s Residential Tenant and Landlord Ordinance (RTLO).
- Updating the suburban lease to be compliant with the RTLO.
- Investigating property taxes in Cook County through a Presidential Advisory Group (PAG) and prepared resources for member communication on the reassessment of Chicago properties.
And created calls for action for harmful legislation including:
You continued to protect our industry through RPAC.
In 2021, we had over 97 RPAC major investors.
And we raised $93,600 for RPAC during our Casino Royale event. Check out all the photos from the event here.
We were awarded for our hard work.
Our Diversity Committee, The 77, was awarded the American Society of Association Executives’ (ASAE) “Power of A” Gold Award, which honors the outstanding accomplishments of associations and industry professionals who work tirelessly to solve problems, and strengthen lives, the workforce, the economy and the world.
Our Global Real Estate Council worked this year to continue to make Chicago a global real estate destination while helping members who transact worldwide! We received NAR’s Platinum Global Achievement Award for the fourth year in a row!
We placed number 41 on Crain’s Chicago Business’s Best Places to Work in Chicago list!
You represented our association at the state and national levels.
We engaged in work to advance diversity, equity & inclusion in our industry.
We celebrated heritage months to honor our diversity and create inclusion within our association and members, including:
We launched two new member perks to help you and your business:
And you committed to your professionalism by completing the following programs:
NAR’s Commitment to Excellence Program
NAR’s Fairhaven Simulation